I'm just gonna say it... I love a muffin. The chunkier and clunkier, the better. I like em chocolaty, spicy, fruity, nutty, whatever you got. I like it all, but even I have to admit it's hard to beat a classic combo like boring old banana and walnut. Sprinkle in a little cinnamon and voilá breakfast is served... not to mention my afternoon snack and midnight munchy.
For those of you watching your waistline (and not wanting to watch it expand exponentially from all the deliciousness), never fear... this recipe can be doctored up to make it more healthful. Just substitute a sugar alternative like Splenda or Stevia - or completely replace part or all flour with whole wheat flour - I promise they will taste just as good. Good for you and super easy... five minutes and these babies are in the oven. Um, why haven't you started baking them yet??
Banana Walnut Muffins
INGREDIENTS: Makes 1 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar (or equivalent substitute)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a separate bowl, mash bananas and then add applesauce, oil, beaten egg and vanilla. Stir until completely combined. Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
2. Grease a muffin tin with Pam baking spray or whatever you like and fill cups about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup walnuts onto the top of each muffin. Bake for 16-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then remove to cool completely on a rack.
3. Try to resist the urge to skip dinner and eat the whole batch - you're gonna want at least one in the morning with your coffee. : )
4. Watch the video below. This is what happens when you google "banana nut muffin video". I'm kinda speechless.